Eduardo Fernández Jover
Academic studies, qualifications and work experience
Professor of Cellular Biology, Chairman of the Department of Histology and Anatomy in the University Miguel Hernández (Spain) and Director of the Neuroengineering and Neuroprosthesis Unit at the Bioengineering Institute. He received a M.D. degree from the University of Alicante (1986) and a Ph.D. in Neuroscience with honors in 1990. He has been visiting professor at the University of Utah (USA), University of Oldenburg (Germany), Beth Israel Medical Deaconess Center (USA) and University of Vienna (Austria). His research interests is in developing solutions to the problems raised by interfacing the human nervous system and on this basis develop a two-way direct communication with neurons and ensembles of neurons. He is actively working on the development of neuroprostheses and brain-machine interfaces. In the last 5 years he has been using histological and electrophysiological techniques to asses the response to implantation and general biocompatibility issues regarding intracortical microelectrodes. He is also working on brain plasticity and reorganization in severe vision loss and developing non-invasive methodologies for the selection of appropriate candidates for implantation of visual neuroprosthesis.
(2009 – to date) Founder and member of the scientific committee of Instead Technologies Ltd.
- URL (teaching):
- Docent books:
- “Retinosis pigmentaria. Preguntas y respuestas” Ed. (free download)
- my research interests are on:
- Surgical robotics; computer-aided-surgery; surgery simulation; augmented reality; surgical navigation; medical image applications; computer applications to neurosurgery, orthopedics and MIS robotic surgery.
- Medical informatics; applications and apps for diagnosis, control and medical visualization. Diabetes control.
- Medical Robotics; assistive technology, rehabilitation technologies, soft and compliance robotics.
- Haptics; applications to telerobotics and service robotics
- Robot design; kinematic analysis of parallel service robots; control of parallel robots.
Current research projects:
selected previous projects:
- You can find my journal publications on Google Scholar. Google Scholar.
- Researcher gate: link to research gate profile
- Robotic arm for controlling arm movement. ES 200802340 – WO 2010/018283
- Brazo telerobótico de configuración paralela para aplicaciones de cirugía mínima invasiva. P201001008
- Suitable apparatus for the rehabilitation therapy of patients with brain damage. EP 2535032 A1 – 11382194.6 -1257
- Sistema automático de control para cámara hiperbárica multiplaza. ES 201101335
Management, international duties, committees
Organisation of scientific events and commissions of trust
Fellowships and awards
Supervision of graduate and postdoctoral